Friday, February 27, 2009

Top Ten Things I Will Do When I Get Back Home

Today is a fun blog. Instead of looking back and places we have been and getting sentimental, I'm going to look to the future. In 48 short hours, we get on a flight and head back to New York.

Although we are very, very sad to leave Prague - we are also very excited to move back to New York. Here are some of the things I will do within my first week of getting back.



  • Eat Good Food
    During my first 6 months in Prague, I was an mission to find a good burger. It never happened. I eventually gave up and lead an essentially burger-free life for the past 18 months. That's a crying shame. I can't wait to eat a good juicy burger when I get back home. I'll probably go get a Hickory Burger at Houston's, but I may also get a burger at Blue Smoke, Corner Bistro, Shake Shack, Rare or another new place that I don't even know about yet.

    And then there is sushi. Prague does have a pretty significant number of sushi joints. I can think of at least 6 within a 20 minute walk of my house. Unfortunately, since the Czech Republic is a land-locked country, the sushi is not that good and ridiculously expensive. There is one good place near our house, but it is so expensive that we have only been there twice.

    Finding great, cheap sushi in New York is not a problem. Our favorite spot is Yama on Houston - but I heard a nasty rumor that it was closed. I hope it is not true. But, if it is, no worries... there are dozens and dozens of other sushi houses that I am sure I will like just as much.

    (On a side note, I could have made this whole blog about food. But that's no fun. Just know that I could have easily added Wings, Mexican food and Pizza to this list)







  • Buy a new Home Entertainment System
    When I left for Prague two years ago, I had to sell all of my major electronic equipment. When I move back home, I will have nothing.

    Many people would be upset about this since they have to outlay a lot of cash immediately upon landing. While this is true, I'm still excited. I get to walk into Best Buy and get everything brand spanking new. I can buy a flat screen HD TV, a Blue Ray Player and a Home Theater System. All brand new, all bought at the same time and all bought to integrate perfectly with each other. The best news is that the price of this entire system combined will be significantly less than the HD TV I bought 5 years ago.

    I'll probably be at Best Buy within 3 hours of my plane landing.

    (On a side note, i was planning on buying this Home Entertainment System with my winnings from Fantasy Football. But Donovan McNabb had to ruin all of those plans on a Monday night against the Browns. Four lousy yards! Four F&*%ing yards!!! If he doesn't get those four yards, I am the champ and get a free system. I'm still bitter)




  • Watch the Cavs... in HD
    While I was able to watch a ridiculous amount of football while in Prague, I have only been able to watch a single basketball game. The games are on too late and I don't bet basketball.

    This is unfortunate because my Cleveland Cavaliers are having the best season in franchise history. LeBron James - a hometown boy - is the best player on the planet and I think he will bring Cleveland a championship for the first time in my life.

    But, I don't just want to watch basketball. I want to watch it in HD. I haven't seen a sporting event in High Definition in over 2 years. I'm going to be blown away all over again.




  • Browse Book Stores
    My favorite thing to do on a rainy day in New York is to go to the Barnes & Noble in Union Square. I spend hours and hours just browsing the book store. I don't know why, but I love it.

    I haven't had the chance to do it much in Prague. Although there are a few bookstores that carry English language books, the selection is not nearly the same.


  • Go to a Comedy Club
    I love going to Comedy Clubs. I haven't seen a stand up comedian since I left New York. I feel less funny because of it. I can't even think of a joke right now. Seriously.





  • Punch an Investment Banker in the Face
    Just because it seems like the right thing to do.




  • Go Shopping
    OK - let me try to write this without sounding too pathetic. I don't love shopping. The act of shopping gets me tired after about an hour. But, that being said, I would like to get some new clothes.

    I haven't bought a single thread of clothing in Prague. Literally. Not a sock, not a shirt, not underwear and not even a hat. Nothing. The clothes are overpriced and not my style (to say the least). When I get back to New York, I desperately need some new gear.




  • Live like the average American
    I can't wait to eat fast food, watch endless hours of mindless reality TV, shop at Wal-Mart, work 60 hours a week, buy a shot gun and shoot a moose.

    Wait. I don't want to do any of that. Why am I leaving Europe again?




  • See Bauer reunite with Casey
    We got our dog Bauer one week after our neighbors got their dog Casey - a German Sheppard. They grew up together for the first year of their life. They played everyday and were nearly inseparable. Then, one day out of the blue, we drugged Bauer, threw him in a small crate on a plane and he woke up 10 hours later in Europe. He has not seen Casey in the two years since.

    The dogs - who both turn 3 in the next couple of weeks - will be reunited on our first day back. I have no idea how they will react. They will either play and get along like they never left each other... or Bauer will see the big dog and roll over on his back and put his tail between his legs. There is no in between.






  • Hang Out with Friends and Family
    This item is obligatory. If I don't put it in here I'll sound like an asshole.







Check back tomorrow for my final blog from Prague.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home