Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Back in NY

I have been in New York for 10 days and haven't posted a blog. Sorry about that. I've been busy doing manual labor - trying to fix up my apartment before my furniture arrives. I'm not used to that type of work. A decade of sitting behind a desk has made me soft. The truth is, I'm exhausted. And my finger tips hurts. I've been using my hands so much that my fingers are raw. Every type I hit a character on this keyboard I endure a little bit more pain. The fact that I am putting up with this intense pain to post you a blog just shows how dedicated I am to my readers. So, on that note, here is the blog entry I have been meaning to write....

R, Bauer and I made it back to New York safe and sound last week. For the humans on board, the flight was perfectly fine. For the canines, it may have been a bit more stressful. We'll never know for sure because Bauer spent the 9 hour flight stuffed in a crate with the rest of the cargo.

Once we landed in JFK, we went through customs and got our bags without delay. But it took quite some time for the airlines to bring Bauer out. After about 30 minutes of waiting, we finally heard some yelping in a crate in the far off distance. It was good ol' Bauer... and he wanted out of the damn crate. Rightfully so. It took another 20 minutes or so to get all of the dog papers signed - with Bauer making himself heard in the crate the whole time. Finally we got outside, let Bauer out of the crate so he could do his long-awaited business and order was restored in the universe.

I wish I could tell you what a great time we've had eating/drinking/laughing during our first week back in New York. But the truth is much less sexy than that. We've been doing hard manual labor for 12 hours per day. Cleaning, painting, sanding, etc. Lots of work. We're trying to fix up our apartment before our furniture arrives.

And, in case you are wondering, Bauer is doing OK. The transition from Prague to New York is a tough one and he is quite confused. You could tell that he was depressed the first couple of days. But he's starting to come out of it and will be fine in a couple of days.

The real bad news is that he doesn't remember his friend Casey - the German Shephard down the hall. Not only does he not remember Casey, but he is absolutely petrified of him. We've been forcing the two of them to hang out with each other all week but Bauer wants no part of it. He's scared to death of the big dog. Our plan is to just keep on forcing them to hang out with each other until they eventually like each other.

Don't worry about Bauer. He'll be fine in a few days. I'm much more concerned about my precious hands right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home